Monday, January 14, 2008

SRK, Smoking and NRIs

Watching SRK perform along with the Indian Cricket Team in some function makes me wonder- is he a man or a machine..I mean he is present in almost every event related to media industry and not related to media industry. Does he ever get some sleep or what ..does he eat?I know he smokes..Smoking Kills..but by the looks of it I'm not sure anymore.I mean look at him, he has so much energy..He is like what 43-44; Young guys like Dhoni who are almost half his age were finding it difficult to do the jumps and rolls he was doing.
Anyway coming to the point this SRK is here-there-everywhere..Mr.Omnipresent I must say. You may hate him or love him but you simply cant avoid him!
Who is this phenomenon? From acting in Traffic rules videos for Doordarshan to TV seriels To telefilms to Movies..it has been a meteoric rise for this guy. Most people I meet are critical of him..he hamms too much, he cant act at all...well I can only say you may fool all people sometime but cannot fool all the people all the time. He has been able to do that ..so i guess if he cannot act he can definitely entertain. I dont know how many fans he has in India.but I can tell you for sure every Indian living abroad will definitely watch his movie. NRIs are like crazy for a dose of SRK entertainment. Even Emiratis are crazy about him.
I still remember the day I went to watch Main Hoon Na at Cinestar in Citycentre( my fav hangout place in the whole of Dubai)..the hall was packed--shared by Local Arabs and Indians ofcourse. It was my first SRK movie viewing in Arabland and i was surprised at the fan following SRK had in Emirates. They were singing songs!I was like OK i get it now..SRK you are really a Huge star with NRIs.
When you are away from homeland for a long time, you want to remember all the beautiful things related to it...the sweetness of it and SRK films have huge doses of them.
I guess NRIs like the bold-beautiful colours, song n dance for every ocassion, glitzy clothes present in almost all SRK films. And ofcourse the main ingredient is the Love factor. You can hardly go wrong with a love story movie if well told. Like,for instance Titanic (James Cameroon one) was a huge hit practically everywhere it was screened. Because the main story was a love story and that too a doomed love story! SRK is the king of romance and i guess so he is the King of Hindi film industry. Let me tell you an incident how known SRK is in Dubai. One day I caught a screening of Swades in Cinestar, did some shopping in Carrefour and hoped into the first taxi I got. After sometime, the taxi driver(a arab local) asked me"madam, you not going to the Shahrukh khan show tonight?" Actually SRK was in town with his team to perform for a show called Temptations or something like that... I thought why is he asking me ..then i realised i was wearing a Salwar kameez. I smiled and said "No, i just watched him in a film today" He is like" Madam, this is Shahrukh Khan...not movie, LIVE!....everbody going there" His emphasis was so much on the word live and he couldnot believe that I an Indian wouldnot like to watch SRK perform live!
Oh SRK you are really big time favourites with NRIs and Arabs..you maynot be the greatest actor but you are definitely a great entertainer!

1 comment:

Nisha said...

Hey Elora, Still the SRK fan :)